And in a move that only someone brazen enough to “trade more than $300,000 in shares of health-related companies . . . while sponsoring and advocating legislation that potentially could affect those companies’ stocks” would pull, Politico reports that Price continued to book private jets after the initial reports on his pricey habit, taking more chartered trips last week at a taxpayer expense of $56,500.
Unfortunately for Price, the White House has said it had nothing to do with approving the trips, and the HHS inspector general has said he will be conducting a formal review of the secretary’s travel. And so Price was pressured on Saturday into announcing in an interview with Fox News that that he’ll refrain from booking private planes for now. The “optics in some of this don’t look good,” he conceded. “I don’t think there would be any charter trips until this review is complete. I think that’s appropriate because of the concerns that we’ve heard.”
On the other hand, he also thinks this whole thing is some kind of witch hunt designed to take down allies of Donald Trump. “Remember that there are folks who want to see this president fail; there are folks who want to see this administration fail,” Price said. “That is part of the stream; we are swimming upstream against that kind of current, but that’s not dissuading us at all.”
“Like” Vanity Fair’s Hive on Facebook.